|The Importance of Breakfast
We have all heard our mothers talk to us about the importance of breakfast. I am sure you heard the same thing I did.that it was the most important meal of the day.
And Mom was right. But even she didn't realize how important it truly was. And that is because with the obesity statistics in this country being what they are1 one of the most common denominators of those who are obese is that they skip breakfast!2
So with the importance of
|breakfast established, what kind of breakfast should you have? Obviously, Krisky Kreme donuts are out. And you definitely should eat breakfast at home, because you will consume fewer calories at home.
But what is in? A protein and finer-based breakfast that will enable you to add muscle and yet at the same time will fill your stomach with fiber so that you can feeling full for longer so that you do not consume excessive calories later in the day.
But the problem is that most people generally don’t have a lot of time in the morning. They are bust getting themselves ready for work and their kids ready for school, so they are running out the door. With that in mind, I have two specific ideas that will take about 3 minutes to make and get you started on a day of healthy eating.
The first is oatmeal. Now, don’t groan.
You may have hated it as a kid but I am going to tell you how to make it that will taste great. Get the Quaker Oat Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar variety, which has 7g of protein, 5g of fiber and only 1g of sugar. Add a tablespoon of all-natural peanut butter to it and microwave with 2/3 cup of water. Then add one handful of almonds and one handful of blueberries.
What you are left with is a 350-calorie powerhouse that will give you everything you need to start your day right...
- Good amounts of protein to build muscle.
- Good levels of carbohydrates to give you the energy you need to start your day.
- Good levels of the good, healthy fats for heart health.
- And plenty of fiber to keep your stomach full so that you don't eat as much throughout the day.
|The other is the Whey Protein shake. Most varieties of whey protein will give you 20g of protein per serving, making it an ideal way to start the day. I add 2 scoops of protein powder (whether chocolate or vanilla doesn’t matter) and add 4 oz. of organic chocolate milk and 12 oz. of water. You end up with a shake that either tastes like a chocolate milkshake or, if you use the vanilla powder, a great tasting black-and-white shake.
But what if you truly don’t have the time and are one of these people who get their breakfast on the go. Here are a few tips for you:
- McDonald’s has 2 good choices for you in the morning. There was a recent addition to McDonalds Breakfast menu, the Fruit and Maple Oatmeal. It features cranberries, diced apples and raisins with a touch of brown sugar. It doesn’t taste quite as good as the oatmeal I create at home but I can tell you that is good and most importantly the fiber from the oats will help to fill you up so that you do not eat as much throughout the day.
The other good recommendation I can make is the Egg McMuffin. You get protein from the egg and well as Canadian bacon with this breakfast stable. And at 300 calories with 18g of protein there are far worse ways to start your day. So if you are going to be starting your day and unable to get breakfast at home, these are two options for you to consider.
- If you are ordering at a deli or bagel shop, make sure to order something along the lines of an egg white sandwich with turkey on a whole wheat or multi-grain roll. Adding the yolk from the egg as well as sausage or bacon is not going to help your waistline at all.
And I did want to bring up one last option for you. If you don't have time for breakfast at home, consider bringing one of the Jimmy Dean variety of breakfast sandwiches and having it at work if possible. The Jimmy Dean sandwiches that feature egg whites instead of whole eggs, turkey sausage and a whole wheat roll have ½ the calories and 1/3 less fat than the typical McDonald's breakfast sandwich, and will be cheaper for you as well.
By Tony Rovere
10 Bodybuilding Breakfast Meals
Forum: Anyone Know Of An Easy Breakfast In The Morning?
10 Weight Loss Breakfast Meals