1. Water is the essence of life. Life cannot exist without water. We must always be adding fresh water to our bodies in order to keep them well hydrated. Water can be a wonder cure for a lot of common illnesses such as headaches, fatigue, joint pain, and much more. We can go for weeks without food, but only 3 days without water. Over half your body is made up of water.
2. Water prevents and cures heartburn. Heartburn is an indication of water deficiency in the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract. It is a major thirst signal of the human body. The use of antacids or other tablets in dealing with this pain does not correct dehydration, and the body goes on suffering because of its water shortage. Tragedy: if you don't identify heartburn as a symptom of dehydration and you keep treating it with antacids and other pills it will, in time, create inflammation of the stomach and duodenum, hiatal hernia, ulceration, and ultimately cancers in the gastrointestinal tract, including the liver and pancreas.
3. Water jump starts your body: while your mind may react to caffeine in the morning, water helps the rest of your body get moving. It begins by helping to ease dry mouth and goes on to work the magic of motion throughout your system. Soda and coffee don't count. Although they are liquid beverages, the caffeine in both can in fact add to fluid loss through diuresis.
4. Water helps preserve healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite. Water also reduces feelings of hunger. The kidneys can't work properly without enough water. Some of the load is moved to the liver when this occurs. The liver metabolizes stored fat for energy, so the body burns less fat if the liver is doing some of the kidneys' work.
5. Water washes out toxins and other metabolic waste products from the body. It helps get rid of excess nitrogen, urea, and ketones, so it is particularly important when following a high protein diet. You need even more water to help your kidneys do their work if you're eating big to gain weight.
6. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, adequate fluid replacement helps to maintain hydration therefore optimizing and enhancing performance of those participating in regular exercise. They suggest flavored waters to promote hydration and to increase palatability. Products such as Gatorade's Propel Fitness Water are, therefore, terrific substitutes for plain water to increase fluid intake and meet the optimum consumption of water per day, thus enhancing performance and lessening the possibility of dehydration.
7. Women who drink more than five glasses of water a day are 41% less likely to die from a heart attack than those who drink less than two glasses. The protective effect of water is even greater in men. Not all liquids are equal. The consumption of other liquids such as coffee, tea, juice, milk and alcohol actually increase your risk of heart attack.
8. Michaud and coworkers found that the incidence of cancer in the urinary bladder was reduced significantly by a high fluid intake in a ten-year study involving nearly 48,000 men. The top 20% of subjects who participated in the study drank 2500 ml per day or more, while the bottom 20% drank 1200 ml or less. The authors concluded that within this range, the risk of bladder cancer decreased by 7% for every 240 ml of fluid added.
9. When you don't have enough water in your body, your cells start to draw water from the bloodstream. Your heart has to work harder because your blood gets sludgy, and your body starts to redirect blood away from less vital areas. Dehydration can set in even before you start to feel thirsty. This is a great strain on the body because it impairs the kidneys in their vital function of purifying the blood and helping the body get rid of toxins.
10. Water is the nutrient your body needs the most. Between 55 and 75 percent of adult body weight is water, and it is critical in regulating all body organs and temperature as well as dissolving solids and moving nutrients throughout the body. Research has shown that proper hydration may minimize chronic pains such as rheumatoid arthritis, lower back pain, migraines and colitis as well as lower cholesterol and blood pressure.